Friday, August 8, 2014

Selfish sewist

I often think about where sewing will take me. As a society we tell children to do a job they love and they will never work a day in their life. Which is very true.
However do you have to make a job out of something you love and have a talent for?

I was asked recently if I would make a dress for someone, I asked for an exorbitant sum due to fabric costs and she agreed to think about it. I hadn't expected that reaction and it got me thinking about sewing for others. Would I do it? Could I?

I love sewing, specifically dressmaking but I'm a very selfish sewist. I love making things for myself and not so interested in making things for others (yet). I think this is mainly a time factor due to resembling the undead during term time which leaves me school holidays and weekends to sew. 

I would love to spend more time sewing but I'm not sure that it includes sewing for others (yet). I don't have the skills to do so (I think) but this has been on mind for a while after setting up an etsy shop and leaving it (metaphorically) gathering e-dust. 

For me, for now, sewing remains for me, friends and family but who knows where it will lead me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment