Sunday, February 22, 2015

Marianne and Miette

This is the first time I've made separates rather than dresses and it makes me feel more 'me made' than just wearing a dress. 
I absolutely love wearing dresses, they're effortless and easy to style. Sometimes you need a change though. 
Hear enters the Miette skirt from Tilly and the Buttons


I made this skirt over a couple of hour sessions. Whilst sewing this I felt almost blind, I simply could not visualise how this skirt was going to come together, especially the waistband. As a result I sewed the waistband on the wrong way round.
I have to say for a beginner-never-made-anything-before pattern it's quite confusing and I wouldn't recommend it to total beginners. 
Having said that I'm pleased with my Miette skirt, it's made from a gorgeous lightweight denim from Merchant and Mills and I can see it getting a lot of wear. 

The Marianne top is a copy of a Cabbages and Roses dress I have. I love the collar and it's gorgeous to wear under dresses but the C&R version is far too warm to be layering. So I made my own! The fabric is interlock knit from eBay and is lovely and thick. 


I don't have many pictures of the top during construction as it was sewn up so quick! I think it only took around 2 hours to make. It's not perfectly constructed but I'm really happy with it as a basic piece and to layer under dresses. 

I can see myself becoming more of a perfectionist the more garments I make! It's frustrating because I miss that OMG-I-made-a-dress!! excitement however developing my sewing skills is definitely not a bad thing!

I'm currently in the middle of making a grey jersey Marianne (pictured above) and then onto the Archer shirt which I am more than apprehensive about.

What are you making at the moment?

No comments:

Post a Comment